Skip to main content

Rain Chimes


DS106 Sound Scapes, AudioAssignments, AudioAssignments970


The soundscape audio assignment really appealed to me. I sometimes listen to ‘voiceless’ music during the work day when I need to focus hard and not be distracted behind the meaning of words in songs. It also relaxes me and helps me enter a more meditative state. I figured, why not make my own soundscape? With all of the rain in Denver, Colorado, I decided to focus on water sounds. I typically enjoy the sound of a good rain shower. Since the requirements for the assignment were to use ‘found sounds,’ I like the idea of recording some of my own sounds. I used an iphone 5c to record most of the sounds since I don’t have any other more sophisticated recording device. I also used freesound to gather some chimes, and dings. However all water sounds I recorded.

I thought this would also be a great assignment for libraries such as Anythink, which has a studio for people to record their own sounds and mix it together. Or maybe another spin on the assignment could be a ‘sound scavenger hunt’? Sounds could be described with words and then sounds could be found to meet the requirements then mixed together. The assignment is accessible and can be appreciated for the potential for learning.

The learning that happens, and this is a great assignment to introduce students to sound, is learning about sound waves, how audio is digitized, different types of digital audio files and which ones are appropriate. Also, how to alter recorded sounds and then, ultimately, mix it all together in a multitrack session. I found extreme value in this assignment for myself, as well as demonstrating another assignment that supports the idea of value in arts education to create ‘literacies’ in technology. I have never purposefully recorded audio and mixed it together. I have never taken a music or recording class. I really don’t know much about sound editing or recording equipment. This assignment forced me to learn many new things.
Although I could have learned how to use some freeware software to mix and alter tracks, I chose to use Adobe Audition CC. I already use my Creative Cloud account for visual software so this was an easy download as part of my CC subscription. Opening up Audition for the first time was really overwhelming because of the robust menus, however watching a few video tutorials really helped me understand the basics, and enough to complete the assignment with success. I must say however, it did take considerable time to complete the assignment from beginning to end with the amount of learning and the many tasks I created for myself by tinkering with the sounds.



Listen to some of my recorded and found sounds. Can you identify when and how they are used in the mixed final track?

Found sounds on the web:


Chiming Out

Wine Glass Tinkles

Personally recorded sounds with iphone 5c:


Rain

Rain Pipe

Water Shake


DS106, CUDenver15DS106 Sound Scapes, AudioAssignments, AudioAssignments970

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VR ‘Redefining’ How We Design

SAMR: REDEFINITION. Image courtesy of Christina Moore 2017. In recent years virtual reality (VR) technologies have gained popularity for enhancement of a myriad of industries and experiences. It’s hard to dispute VR has the potential to transform. It’s exciting to consider exploring these technologies for the purpose of education, but before putting VR into practice in the classroom, it’s important to apply the study of theory to VR potential. The SAMR model (substitution, augmentation, modification, and redefinition) is a great way to apply rather basic theory to VR tech. Although it’s possible VR practitioners and learners can traverse SAMR, based on how VR is used, “redefinition” may be the most impactful way to demonstrate use of these technologies for learning. Redefinition, in regards to SAMR, refers to the ability for technology to “create tasks and ways of learning that were previously inconceivable.” (Technology Is Learning 2014) From the perspective of a CAD and Int

Another Blog Post About CARP. This Time It’s Personal!

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2187718-181/some-fishermen-complain-that-carp CARP, not referring to a fish, but rather it’s an acronym for Contrast, Alignment, Repetition, Proximity. Sometimes referred as CRAP! Or so I have found by doing a brief search for CARP on Google. There are already so many great resources out there describing CARP, however I first learned about it in Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery by Garr Reynolds  (2008). Check out the .pdf describing CARP from pages in “Presentation Zen.” Somehow I managed 5 years of design school in the early 2000’s without hearing about this acronym. It’s likely the acronym did not reach the height of popularity until after I graduated. Nevertheless, I entered design school for ILT grad studies in the twenty-teens and picked up where I left off in Joni Dunlap’s “ Creative Designs” course . These CARP principles were already burned into my brain but one has always stuck out for me ̶

How Discourse and Creativity Express Meaning

Moving from literacy and ‘new literacies’ to D iscourse. In chapter one of New Literacies: Everyday Practices and Social Learning Ed by Colin Lankshear and Michele Knobel . I learned about literacy as a historical concept and a social practice. I also learned about new literacies as ‘paradigmatic’ and ‘ontological’ (Lankshear & Knobel, 2011, p. 27). In chapter two I began to learn more about literacy as a social practice through Discourses and encoded texts. “Hence, literacies are ‘socially recognized ways in which people generate, communicate, and negotiate meanings, as members of Discourses, through the medium of encoded texts.”  (Lankshear & Knobel, 2011, p. 50). As a social practice one can think of literacy as observable ‘things’ humans do with their bodies and minds to create meaning. Lankshear and Knobel cite the work of Scribner and Cole to describe these practices as “consisting of three components: technology, knowledge, and skills. (ibid,: 236)”