Skip to main content

Reflections of Immersion: Week 4 Reflective Practice INTE 5340 Digital Storytelling

Week 4 Collage

Introduction

As part of the educational discourse in digital storytelling each week, I will conduct a reflective practice self assessment. These ‘reflections’ will serve as both formative and summative assessment to the learning goals of the course INTE 5340.

See learning goals in the INTE 5340 syllabus. See DS106 syllabus.

Requirements and Production



The Daily Create (x2)
Ms Kitty Stop Moving tdc1269
High Tide at Torrey Pines tdc1271

DS106 Assignment Bank (Design)
What Do Creative Humans Do In School?

Response to Lankshear & Knobel “New Literacies” chapter one and selected scholarship
Ed Reform Remix: A Response to Lankshear & Knobel Ch 4


Comment peer critiques (x2)

Comment peer chapter responses (x2)
Response to Lankshear and Knoble’s New Literacies: Chapter Four

(comment added here because comment awaiting moderation)

“Emily,

I too am interested to see how this copyright thing pans out. In fact I feel somewhat insecure about engaging in the activities in this course because of the remix requirements. I've done my best to state ownership of others where applicable and I'm certainly not making money off of anything. To that point, I really don't think there is much interest in enforcement of copyright unless someone has turned significant profits by use of the copyrighted works of others. And pretty much everyone engages in everyday remixes that technically may infringe on copyrights, but to the point as mentioned in LK text, remixes are and have always been part of our culture. Until recently people could for the most part engage freely in these remixes.”

The Future = Mind Blowing...Chapter 4 Response

Reflective summary

Reflections of Immersion: Week 4 Reflective Practice INTE 5340 Digital Storytelling

What was challenging?

Week four was another challenging week! I’m still struggling to find life balance with the amount of professional and coursework I must complete each week. I really enjoy it all but I know I function best with more sleep and exercise. I will work on the schedule and limitations next week. The new critique format also through a wrench in the typical production I was used to each week. I also had to stretch to classify the remix I chose and in effect, remixed the remix by critique. There were also some additional conversations on Twitter that took time and place when I would be engaging in other production activities. I appreciated and thought all of the tweets were engaging and useful but definitely added another dimension of work / learning this week. Overall, the production exercises themselves were not too challenging but the time and place which production needed to take place was exhausting.

What was most enjoyable?

I think I really enjoyed the daily creates this week. The “art history in everyday” and “make a photo better” were fun to do. It was also enjoyable to see other classmates produce these daily creates. Some of these were also humorous. I found the humor much needed in the week and it also encouraged production.

What was learned about the focal theme and what issues / questions have emerged?

I really dug into the focal theme this week with both scholarship and Twitter conversations. I finished the audiobook by Ken Robinson, Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That’s Transforming Education, and listened to several chapters a couple of times for further understanding. When I synthesised this with the Lankshear and Knobel text some questions emerged: “When education is no longer relevant it brings up many questions as I think about the future of education and ‘new literacies.’ Such as, if public education is no longer relevant will we see more home-schooling and online alternative education? Will there be a massive privatization of education in order to seek relevance? Will some social classes be left out of home school or privatized education?”

To me, the solution to ‘new literacies’ engagement and core education is to ‘remix’ subjects to include a multi-disciplinary and technological approach. However this requires curriculum to support this. This curriculum is unlikely because typical current curriculum is designed to support achievement on standardized tests. These tests are part of national and state governmental requirements. So before we can effectively change curriculum, the government requirements and societal values must change. Because change in this way is less likely, I believe people will turn to private schools to receive education enriched with multi-disciplinary approaches and relevant technologies.

Points earned 10/10?

I delivered everything with excellence and on time this week. I exhausted myself through thought and creativity. As I type the tips of my fingers hurt with each key depression. When I sleep I dream of ‘new literacies’ and education reform. When I wake, I awake to tweets about ds106 and scholarship. Total immersion has happened and it is as it should be at the end of the halfway point in the semester. The next step is to re-invigorate all of this into my daily life as I have hit possibly the most exhausting point of the semester in an eight week course. Realizing this as well as delivering this week I give myself 10/10.


Citations
New Literacies: Everyday Practices and Social Learning Third Ed by Colin Lankshear and Michele Knobel. McGraw-Hill Education 2011.

Aronica, Lou; Robinson, Ken Ph.D. Creative Schools the Grassroots Revolution That’s Transforming Education. 2015. Narr. Robinson, Ken Ph.D.
Tantor Media. May 8, 2015. Accessed June 20, 2015. Digital File.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VR ‘Redefining’ How We Design

SAMR: REDEFINITION. Image courtesy of Christina Moore 2017. In recent years virtual reality (VR) technologies have gained popularity for enhancement of a myriad of industries and experiences. It’s hard to dispute VR has the potential to transform. It’s exciting to consider exploring these technologies for the purpose of education, but before putting VR into practice in the classroom, it’s important to apply the study of theory to VR potential. The SAMR model (substitution, augmentation, modification, and redefinition) is a great way to apply rather basic theory to VR tech. Although it’s possible VR practitioners and learners can traverse SAMR, based on how VR is used, “redefinition” may be the most impactful way to demonstrate use of these technologies for learning. Redefinition, in regards to SAMR, refers to the ability for technology to “create tasks and ways of learning that were previously inconceivable.” (Technology Is Learning 2014) From the perspective of a CAD and Int

Another Blog Post About CARP. This Time It’s Personal!

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2187718-181/some-fishermen-complain-that-carp CARP, not referring to a fish, but rather it’s an acronym for Contrast, Alignment, Repetition, Proximity. Sometimes referred as CRAP! Or so I have found by doing a brief search for CARP on Google. There are already so many great resources out there describing CARP, however I first learned about it in Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery by Garr Reynolds  (2008). Check out the .pdf describing CARP from pages in “Presentation Zen.” Somehow I managed 5 years of design school in the early 2000’s without hearing about this acronym. It’s likely the acronym did not reach the height of popularity until after I graduated. Nevertheless, I entered design school for ILT grad studies in the twenty-teens and picked up where I left off in Joni Dunlap’s “ Creative Designs” course . These CARP principles were already burned into my brain but one has always stuck out for me ̶

The Most Ridiculous Preflight Checklist for A Short Webinar

In practice of my first webinar I forgot to do some basic things prior to running the event in order to make things run more smoothly. Because of this, I created a checklist of things to do prior to launching the webinar.  Here’s my most ridiculous preflight checklist prior to running the short webinar: Give The Dog A Bone If you run webinars at home and have pets, keep them happy and quiet for the duration of the webinar by making them as comfortable as possible. Take your dog for a walk, give her dinner, or give her a bone. Turn on some calm television programming in the background in your house that may drown out some other neighborly sounds your dog may bark at. For me, giving Bella a bone usually keeps her quiet for 30 minutes or more. Turn Off Your Cell Phone Notification tones are really annoying during a webinar. Turn your phone on silent or off. Also remember to move the phone away from the microphone or anything it may vibrate against if you leave it on vibrate. Show o